Take Care of Yourself
How serious are you about being successful? Successful people know the importance of taking care of themselves. This means taking care of your personal life. Get enough exercise and sleep. Eat healthy foods. Belong to a social or spiritual group. Spend time with your family. Set a regular schedule. Get regular checkups. Learn how to make good choices.
Self care means being prepared to work
- Do you have transportation ready?
- Do you have child care arranged?
- Do you have health care resources?
- Do you have stable housing?
People new to managing their careers may need help. Don't be afraid to ask for it. Your community may have programs to help. You can ask about health care, day care, or housing programs . Ask at your public library. If you need help finding a local library, look at ServiceLocator.org/Libraries.asp.
Self care means making good choices
Sometimes you have many options. What kind of job is best for you? Should you go to school? If so, what kind of school? Should you move to find a better job? It is easy to feel overwhelmed.
It may be helpful to write down all of your options. Make a list. Then weigh the pros and cons of each choice. If you have too many good options, you can rank them in order. Someone close to you can help you with this list.
When you need to make a decision, use Weigh Your Options (pdf)
Ask for help
- Find help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more.T here are community programs to help you in southwestern and central Illinois; another for central Illinois, as well as Will County and metro Chicago.
- Locate public transportation in your area.
- Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP (for children) forms are at this site.
- Get help with child care.
- Go to a One-Stop Career Center for assistance with your job search.